We Rate Stuff

5.20.2008

Iron Man

I didn't know a damn thing about Iron Man before I saw the movie; in fact, if you had asked me who he was, I probably would've made a confused face and said "Man 'O Steel Man?" However, Robert Downey Jr. has cemented in my mind the fact that Iron Man is indeed a superhero (at least on par with Man 'O Steel Man), he is everything a superhero should be. Tony Stark is a playboy, an entrepreneur, an inventor, a genius, and charming in a way that everyone wants to be. All that and he gets to be a superhero too? Not fair.


Thankfully, this movie makes the superhero genre feel fresh after being super saturated with garbage for a few years now. What makes this movie unique compared to other superhero movies is probably the fact that his secret identity is way more badass than his metal suit. While the action scenes are intense and impressive, Tony Stark is what carries the movie, not Iron Man. In true superhero-story fashion, the bad guy (portrayed by Jeff Bridges -- hard as I try, I can't shake the image of The Dude climbing in a giant metal suit..."Far out, man!") gets a hold of what the superhero has been working on and develops it for his own use. Lots of action ensues, and one of them comes out the victor, try and guess who. All in all, this movie is a great watch, funnier than expected, and Tony Stark is a complex character that is definitely sequel-worthy.


6/7

No comments: