We Rate Stuff

5.24.2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones movies operate in their own universe, where seemingly anything can happen, and usually does. Despite that, at first I thought I could describe this movie in one word: excessive. However, I soon realized my error. The newest Indy installment is FANTASTICALLY excessive. Often times I found myself wondering how many more bad situations old man Jones could get himself into. Sometimes I questioned where (if anywhere) the movie was going. But throughout the entire thing, I felt the sense of wonder and excitement that the Indiana Jones series so well instills in viewers.


That being said, this movie was nothing like I had expected. For once, I decided to not read up on this one. Not even a review. Due to this, a couple of times throughout the movie I found myself slightly lost in the plot. Not a good thing, considering most movie-goers probably don't extensively research their choices. Plot ambiguity aside, I loved this movie. The actors were great (Shia LaBeouf wasn't even annoying!), there were familiar characters, and no action scenes were spared with this one. In fact, so much happened to Indy and his party that at times it felt like they had crammed three Indiana Jones movies into one, something that originally put me off just a little bit. As the movie progressed, though, I came to realize that excessive action is what makes an Indiana Jones movie so good, and it's what people want from these movies. People want to believe that a normal person like a teacher can set off on an amazing adventure. It takes me back to a time when I felt that the Earth wasn't completely explored, and maybe there still is something mysterious waiting to be found, even if it was only true in my imagination. That's what I liked most about this movie.


7/7

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAMN! I can't believe you liked it MORE than I did! There are so many negative reviews all over for this movie, especially about the inclusion of aliens, but I LOVED that. It's like Spielburg was saying "Look! There's other shit out there! Not everything on Earth was created on Earth." And even Indy Jones needed convincing of that. I was totally expecting Shia to be annoying, but he was great. What a fun movie.

Anonymous said...

No need to worry about Lost spoilers! I hide them behind the "CLICK TO READ MORE" and then even after I hide them behind a big picture that says "ARE YOU SURE?" so it's practically impossible to spoil yourself accidentally.

I wish I could say I made that template myself. It's actually a template that I had to download and put together, but even so I've learned a lot about XML, CSS and HTML 4 in the process. I'm currently touching up on HTML 4 with ebooks and simultaneously learning CSS, XHTML, XML, and JavaScript. Once I'm done, I'll be able to throw something together that'll blow my template the fuck away.

Also I put that Commander Kahn picture up just for you, hahaha. I wanted to put "Great job!" but I figured I'd save that for a better time.

I love your reviews.